Monday 13 June 2016

Some important Idioms and phrases


Common Idioms
Definitions
It cost me an arm and a leg to take my trip to Australia.
Very expensive
I was over the moonwhen he asked me to marry him.
Extremely pleased or happy
You are taking your IELTS test next week?? Aren’t you jumping the gun. You’ve only just started studying.
Doing or starting something too early
He comes round to see me once in a blue moon.
Happening very rarely
He’s got a chip on his shoulder.
Feeling inferior or having a grievance about something
I reckon getting a band 7 in IELTS will be apiece of cake! I’m very good at English.
Very easy
The money sent by comic relief to help poverty in Africa is justa drop in the ocean. They need far more than this.
A very small part of something much bigger
Getting a low score the first time I took IELTS was a blessing in disguise. It forced me to study extremely hard so I got a much better score the next time.
Something positive that isn’t recognized until later
We have to actually do something about global warming. Actions speak louder than words.
It’s better to actually do something rather than just talking about it
I bumped into Jenny in town the other day. It's a small world.
Meeting someone you would not have expected to

No comments:

Post a Comment